Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Wasted chances

In India, for almost everything you do (or rather don't, in this case) you have an out. For a student who does not do well at an exam and fails it, there is always the ATKT system. Or the re-examination situation. A sort of second chance for those who could not make the most of their first. Should educators be against it? I am not sure. It depends, and I have not checked any research or analysis to claim either way. 

Am I against it? Big time. And I talk here merely from my own experience in the classes that I teach. Since I teach at autonomous and private institutions, for once, the University cannot be blamed. Except of course for allowing the ATKT system to thrive, since all the other institutes follow a similar pattern. There was a moment, a couple of months ago when I wanted to punch someone. Of course, I didn't. It was when I was informed that I had to set a paper for the ATKT exam. I stood there, shocked. 

Let me explain. I do not teach a theory paper. I teach classes on skills - communication and presentation, among others. I also teach editing to postgrad journalism students. And none of these subjects can be tested in the purview of an exam! How am I going to test a student's body language in a written paper? And his or her ability to cross check facts when editing a written piece? 

Finally, I was able to explain the programme heads and course coordinators that an exam was not possible, I never conduct one even in my regular classes. I try and adopt a constructivist approach to my class, and have set up a continuous evaluation process based on a mix of take-home, group, individual and in-class assignments. These are based on real life situations and encourage the students to think. 

Even then, I had to do something about giving those students another chance, who had failed in my class in the first semester. So I did. I set another assignment. It was not the extra work that bothered me. It was not the fact that it was just expected that a second chance would be given without a valid reason, though these were and remain major concerns. 

It was the fact that you could have it so easy when it is an ATKT. The students in question had failed for a reason. Not attending class. Not submitting assignments on time. Not paying attention to the details (which is an absolute must in many cases). And most of all, not working at all on the assignments at hand and turning in extremely shoddy work. And in one stroke, just like that, they had another chance, working on which was much easier than the first. One assignment, hundred marks. So much easier that their peers who worked hard on multiple projects. 

That's not even the worst part. The students made the same mistakes again. Neither of the ATKT students submitted work that was good enough to pass. But pass they will. Why? Another feature - called 'grace marks'. The deficit between what you need to pass and what you have. Just donated to you. And with this grace they will go home with a diploma. What is it's worth? Only the industry will tell. I am just concerned with a very short-term and straight forward thought. How can I even compare the 50/100 scored by these ATKT students to another sincere student's 64/100? More importantly, how do I live with it?

10 comments:

  1. the 'grace marks' has to be a subcontinent thing. and yes, you cant take a written test of someone's ability to drive or swim etc. !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. Surely a subcontinent thing. And it's just assumed you will get them. Many times students calculate backwards wrt the minimum they need to score to pass after factoring in these grace marks!

      Delete
  2. i am facing the same ..i am a journalism educator and researcher at a university in Gujarat ..we are supposed to set usual and ATKT exam papers during all semesters, check the answer sheets and also check assignments ... so twice the effort and hard work every time ...in addition to that there are exam supervision duties every time which we are supposed to to.. so there is hardly any quality time left for research and teaching ..it is annoying and frustrating ... it is indeed a sad state of affairs ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what is the problem with most of you so called educators. You guys chose that field because you are basically lazy, it is very easy. have you every though the kind of work a corporate communciation, advertising and journo puts in day in and out. You guys work how many hours a day ... a few hours. You dont have to get up at 5 in the morning nor go to sleep well after midnight. We guys working in corporate world do. Man you guys are just a bunch of lazy, hypocrite.

      Delete
    2. Hitesh, please do not comment so rudely if you do not know the profession. Yes, I do know the kind of work advertising, communication and journalism professionals put in, because I am one. I have worked for a decade in the industry and continue to do so.
      But have you ever stood in a class of 30 thinking that you are responsible for shaping the thoughts and lives of so many students and you need to do what is right and fair?
      There are occupational hazards in every profession and you cannot keep crying about your own while demeaning others.

      Delete
    3. There is only one thing that i have to say; If you can, you do; if you cannot, you teach. So that sums up the current state of the so called educators.

      Delete
  3. I believe everyone, even the lazy and the rude students, should be given a second chance as it a question of their life. I cannot believe an educator with your kind of experience don’t want an ATKT or give grace marks to students. Look around you, history has proved it again and again that the change makers were never school or college toppers, but laggards. I am also socked that in a country where teachers (or educator) are worshipped, you as an educator don’t want to give a second chance to the students (whatever the case may be).

    Further, I would also like to add that I don't know about other fields, but my experience in print (newswire) journalism shows that class toppers (from journalism colleges) never really cut the cake in real-time field work. They may know everything about inverted pyramid type of writing and the 20 golden rules of writing headlines; However, they flatter when sent out into the field. While interviewing fresher, I usually prefer the mediocre guy and believe me they have never ever disappointed me like the toppers. And surprisingly most of these guys only remember the 20th golden rule of writing headlines – Break all rules whenever necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pls excuse my spelling and grammar errors. I am on train, travelling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not used the words lazy and rude. I do believe that those who deserve should get second chances, but for the right reasons. I do not want to give indifferent students a second chance simply because they could not bother to take the first one. In this case, these students were given a series of practical, real life assignments. And the continuous evaluation was based on these assignments. The students did not bother to keep the deadlines. And now, just because many like you believe blindly in second chances, they have to be evaluated for 100 marks for a fraction of the work. And even then, they have not done enough to pass. They have no genuine reasons for not working.

      Also, this is not a discussion about toppers v/s average students. It is for those who are interested and those who are not. If you think that the change makers were laggards, do ask them how many second chances life offered them. They are ones who snatch opportunities when in need.

      You do understand that in real life, if you miss the bus, you just miss it. I am sure you understand the importance of a deadline in print journalism and give it the respect it deserves. Why are the educators wrong if they expect similar dedication and respect for real life work from those who want to train to enter the industry?

      Delete
    2. I have been like those guys once in my life and have missed a lot of busses. But am still grateful to the few teachers who despite my detachment for studies cajoled me to work hard or show enough interest to finish my studies. During those days, the majority were like – why the hell should I give him a second chance (though ironically these very teachers were very much willing to give not just second but third, fourth and even fifth chances to the children of the parents they know well. Here again I am not saying that you are one such teacher. I am just telling you what I have gone through, despite in all fairness I deserve those harsh days). Been a teacher especially college teacher is not easy, I know that because you are dealing with guys who are confused or who are detached or simply not interested because they have still not realised the importance of studies. Don’t you think, it is this that is the most important thing for teacher to do... make her students realise the importance of chance, that once you miss a bus, you shall never ever get it again...and please, all my comment were said in general manner and should not be taken at personal level. During school days, most of my teachers only made my life miserable as I was the most mischievous student in the class, however there were a few who treated me on par with other saying ‘baacpan may mischief nahi karega tho kya bada hokar karega’.

      Delete